At its May 20, 2022 Board of Directors meeting, the Franklin County Bar Association adopted the Wellness Pledge.
1. Give FCBA attorneys referral resources for the PBA, which will provide enhanced and robust education to attorneys and staffs on topics related to well-being, mental health, and substance abuse.
2. Disrupt the status quo of drinking-based events:
Challenge the expectation that all events include alcohol; seek creative alternatives.
Ensure there are always appealing non-alcoholic alternatives when alcohol is served.
3. Attempt to develop visible partnerships with outside resources committed to reducing substance use disorders and mental health distress in the profession: healthcare insurers, lawyer assistance programs, EAPs, and experts in the field.
4. Give FCBA attorneys referral resources to the PBA, including Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers, which will provide confidential access to addiction and mental health experts and resources, including free, in-house, self-assessment tools.
5. Support the PBA in developing proactive policies and protocols to support assessment and treatment of substance use and mental health problems, including a defined back-to-work policy following treatment.
6. Actively and consistently demonstrate that help-seeking and self-care are core cultural values, by regularly supporting programs to improve physical, mental and emotional well-being.
7. Highlight the adoption of this well-being framework to attract and retain the best lawyers and staff.