PBI Simulcast – The subject of trusts in Pennsylvania can engender discomfort among attorneys since an unskilled drafting of a trust provision can lead to liability and strife within the family you intended on assisting. This strife can last for years and even generations.
Any attorney offering estate planning services should be aware of the risks, the benefits, and the family structure involved in trust drafting. This overview will cover the world of trusts from the point of view of practicing attorneys and corporate trustees.
ABCs will examine the following:
1. When a trust should be used
2. Various types of trusts (ILITs, SNTs, Dynastic trusts, SLATs…)
3. Trustee selection
4. Use of trust protectors
5. Making use of statutes in other jurisdictions
6. Trust modification including decanting and where Pennsylvania stands
7. Understanding the family unit and how a trust can disrupt family harmony
8. Estate tax planning
9. IRAs and trusts
10. Common drafting errors